Fireworks

iStock

If you’re heading out to see fireworks, have fun and stay safe with our top tips for treating a burn.

Most firework-related injuries happen at family parties or private events. Around half of those incidents involve children under the age of 17.

Our first aid guru Joe Mulligan says: “Fireworks are safe if carefully handled but we want to make sure people know how to help if someone does get burned.

“Most people don’t realize that sparklers reach temperatures five times hotter than cooking oil.”

How to treat a burn

Infographic telling people to cool a burn under cold, running water for at least 10 minutes then cover it with cling film

Cool it down

The key to treating a burn is to cool it down immediately. If you can’t get hold of cold water immediately, any cold liquid will do.
Grab the nearest glass of squash, milk or cold beer and pour it in the burn. Then get the injured area under a tap or hose and keep the cold water running for at least 10 minutes.

Myths and old wives tales

Our research shows that more than one in ten parents are convinced that you should put toothpaste or butter on a burn. This simply isn’t true.

Watch our video to ‘remember, remember’ how to treat burns this bonfire night. Then download our free baby and child first aid app for this advice at your fingertips.

Look for the British Red Cross first aiders

Our friendly event first aid volunteers will be helping to keep people safe at 77 fireworks events across the UK. Just look for the folks with the red cross logo.

If you’re running a big event and need first aid cover, find out about our event first aid service.