Category: First aid

Why one boy’s accident proves first aid should be taught in schools

By
16 year old standing at a bus stop where he gave first aid to a schoolboy

Rowan Truelove

When 11-year-old Lewis stepped off the school bus he was immediately hit by a car. Luckily, a cool-headed teenager knew exactly what to do, thanks to a first aid course.

Many people would panic if they saw a child hit by a car. Not Rowan Truelove. The 16-year-old knew exactly what to do.
Thankfully, Rowan had done a two-hour first aid course at his air cadets with St John Ambulance.

“The first aid training I did was very basic but it really helped,” Rowan said.

“The bus had pulled up and Lewis stepped out into the road and a car just came along and that was it. He had a broken leg – there was no doubt about that.” More

One mother’s tragic story – and her message for every parent

By

Kim Hunter’s two-year-old son Rocco died after a febrile seizure. Now Kim wants to share her experience to make sure all parents and carers learn some first aid.

Toddler running through grass

Rocco

“Rocco was an incredibly energetic, active boy. He got bored easily. He liked to be outside and helping me to walk the dog.

“The first time he had a febrile seizure I had no idea what was happening. He was 14 months old at the time. We were in a shop and he suddenly went stiff and his eyes rolled back. More

Advice for bonfire night: how to treat a burn

By
Fireworks

iStock

If you’re heading out to see fireworks, have fun and stay safe with our top tips for treating a burn.

Most firework-related injuries happen at family parties or private events. Around half of those incidents involve children under the age of 17.

Our first aid guru Joe Mulligan says: “Fireworks are safe if carefully handled but we want to make sure people know how to help if someone does get burned.

“Most people don’t realize that sparklers reach temperatures five times hotter than cooking oil.” More

Act fast: first aid for treating babies and children with burns

By

Little girl reaches for a pan on a hobEvery year thousands of children are treated for burns in hospital. It’s an incredibly common injury – especially for under-fives. That’s why all parents and carers need to know how to treat a burn or scald.

If you’ve ever spilt a hot drink over yourself, you’ll know it can make you jump or yelp. Chances are a small spill won’t leave you badly hurt.

But babies and children have much more sensitive skin than you or I. So if they tip a hot drink over, it can be much more serious.  That’s why it’s important to know how to treat a burn or scald. More

Help a heart

By

Woman performing CPR on a man who is unconscious and not breathingIf you suffer a cardiac arrest in the UK and you’re not in a hospital, your chance of survival is less than one in ten.

When someone has a cardiac arrest, their heart stops completely. They collapse, lose consciousness and stop breathing. It’s really important to act fast. This is what you should do. 

HOW TO HELP SOMEONE WHO IS UNCONSCIOUS AND NOT BREATHING
  1. Check breathing by tilting their head backwards and looking and feeling for breaths.
  2. Call 999 as soon as possible, or get someone else to do it.
  3. Push firmly downwards in the middle of the chest and then release.
  4. Push at a regular rate until help arrives.

Giving chest compressions can keep casualties alive for those precious few minutes before help arrives. You’re pumping a small amount of blood around the body to keep the organs – most importantly the brain – alive. More

A muddy marvellous idea…

By

TM-RC-muddyGood luck to everyone tackling the South London Tough Mudder event this weekend. As you’re slipping and sliding through the obstacle course, you can be sure that a very special team of people have got your back… 

TM-startEach year, Red Cross volunteers help out at Tough Mudder events throughout the UK.

TM-BatmanLast year in Hampshire, for example, 20,000 people ran, swam… More

How I helped my little boy when he had a seizure

By

Mother and young son huggingWhen Joanne Riley’s two-year-old son Freddie had a seizure it was one of the scariest moments of her life. Then something kicked in and she knew she had to help him in any way she could. 

To mark World First Aid Day, mum Joanne shares her story and encourages other parents and carers to learn first aid so they can help if a child has a seizure. More