Love and support for the people of Manchester continue to shine through as more and more people give to the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund.
In its first 24 hours after launching, the appeal reached £2 million. Now it has reached over £4 million, thanks to generous donations from the public and Manchester’s two major football clubs. Manchester United and Manchester City joined forces to pledge £1 million to support survivors of the attack.
Major appeal launched for Manchester
On Monday evening, 22 people were tragically killed and dozens more injured after a bomb exploded at the Manchester Arena. Many of them were children.
Manchester City Council, in partnership with the British Red Cross, launched the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund to support those who have been injured or bereaved by the attack.
The Manchester Evening News, who launched the We Stand Together appeal raising £1 million, has since joined forces with this appeal.
The donations will help alleviate suffering and ensure that victims and their families do not face short-term financial difficulties.
Please show your support: donate to the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund
A sign of strength
In the aftermath of the attack, we saw people coming together, supporting and helping each other. The money raised so far for the We Love Manchester Fund demonstrates a continuation of that ethos.
Donations have come pouring in from members of the public, celebrities, sports stars and businesses.
Donors to the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund include:
- Manchester City and Manchester United, who have jointly pledged £1 million to the appeal.
- The Wayne Rooney Foundation, the Arsenal Foundation and Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure.
- Salford Red Devils who will donate proceeds from the entry fees to their Super League match against Catalan Dragons tomorrow night.
- Companies including Co-op Bank, Starbucks UK, Bupa, Thomas Cook and Well Pharmacy.
- Comedian Al Murray also matched funds raised by the audience during his gig in Southend.
- Actor Tom Hardy’s fundraising appeal for survivors of the attack has reached over £18,000.
— British Red Cross (@BritishRedCross) May 25, 2017
The Lord Mayor of Manchester, councillor Eddy Newman, said:
“I have been overwhelmed by all the support coming from across the world to help those affected by this terrible tragedy. People across the globe have been struck by our city’s defiance and resilience and want to help. It will make a real difference to those affected. Thank you.”
Mike Adamson, chief executive of the British Red Cross said:
“Through this appeal we continue to see the very best of humanity. In the immediate aftermath of the attack, people came together to help each other. By donating to support those affected by this terrible incident, that ethos continues. The money raised will help those affected get the help they need today, tomorrow and into the future”.
The role of the Red Cross
The Red Cross is continuing to support bereaved families at multiple locations in Manchester, working with Cruse Bereavement Care.
Today, we also launched a free educational resource for teachers and youth leaders to help young people come to terms with the bombing at the Manchester Arena on Monday evening.