first aid training

How I saved my ‘human fireball’ husband

Burned-hand-sitting-couple-BLOGWhen an explosive garden incinerator engulfed her husband in flames, Frances Lewis was at a loss what to do – until she remembered the first aid leaflet which had arrived in the post days earlier.

The first thing Frances heard was a huge bang.

Spinning round, she saw a ferocious fireball envelop her husband Oliver as he stood just yards away from her in their garden.

(He had been burning garden waste in an incinerator, when the petrol he was using exploded.)

Once the flames subsided, a traumatised Frances could immediately see her husband’s left forearm and hand were badly burned. More

Jools Oliver: who knew first aid was such fun?

JoolsOliver-laughing-BLOGAs our ‘Rapped Up’ first aid campaign for little ones hits the UK, the top celebrity mum explains why she decided it was time to learn life-saving skills.

Accidents always happen when you have children. And with four, I have my hands full.

My youngest, Buddy, has had a few incidents choking on food (due to laughing with his sisters at the dining table), so we always have to watch out.

More

‘I survived the 7/7 bombings’

Jacqui-Puttnam-pro-pic-BLOG

Stefan Rousseau/PA

After Jacqui Putnam was caught up in the London Bombings, we helped her deal with the harrowing experience. Ten years on, she’s a first aid volunteer with us who saves lives. This is her story.

1. THE EXPLOSION

I was in the front carriage on the Edgware Road train when the explosion happened. The bomb was in the next carriage along.

A lot of things happened in a split second. There was a loud bang – a high-pitched crack – and a flash of light, which illuminated hundreds of tiny shards of glass in the air.

The force of the blast travelled forward along the train. I felt immense pressure on my left shoulder which pushed me violently forward in my seat. More

Wimbledon: the alternative survival guide

Wimbledon-blog-full-sizeIt’s not only the players who get injured at big sporting occasions. We take a light-hearted look at the hidden dangers of Britain’s classic summer event .

1. Feeling the burn

Blazing-sun-BLOGThe sun’s blazing down on Murray Mound, and you’re riveted as the unsmiling Scotsman blasts out another scorching game on the big screen. Then it suddenly dawns that you’re sore to the touch and your head looks like a beetroot. Oh, dear. More

Proof that dogs are man’s best friend

Russ-the-dog-and-Natasha-portraitThere were some barking canine antics recently – from a woman who used first aid to save her dog to an owner who was actually saved by his pooch.

It’s meant to be cats, not dogs, that have nine lives. But there’s one Jack Russell in Belfast that has already had at least two snaps at life.

Little Russ was left home alone recently while his owner, British Red Cross worker Natasha Coombes-Liddle, popped out to the shops.

Always hungry, the mischievous pooch used the opportunity to carry out a daring raid on the kitchen bin – but bit off more than he could chew. More

The secret to surviving a severed hand

Photograph: BBC Wales News

When Edryd Jones accidentally power-sawed off his own hand, he thought it was curtains. But he had a secret weapon: quick-thinking neighbours.

It sounds like something from a shlock-horror movie.

Late last year, retired teacher Edryd Jones was cutting through wooden planks in his bedroom as part of a DIY project, when the unthinkable happened.

He told The Guardian: “I didn’t realise my hand had gone until I went to pick up a piece of wood and it wasn’t there. It was on the floor. I thought I was going to bleed to death.” More

Attack of the choking Chinese chicken

Choking-man-BLOGIt sounds like an old joke: what do you get when you cross a Chinese restaurant, a choking diner and a first aid trainer? But luckily, this tale had a happy punchline.

Timing, they say, is everything.

And certainly, if you start choking in public, there are few better times to be sitting opposite a first aid trainer.

Over the years, Sara Hodges has taught literally hundreds of people life-saving skills – including how to help someone who’s choking.

So when her friend, who was facing her in a crowded Chinese restaurant, suddenly took on a surprised look and stopped speaking, she knew exactly what was wrong. More

Cupid strikes at first aid course

Valentine-first-aiders-BLOGHeart rates were racing for all the right reasons when lovebirds Michael and Aurelia first clocked eyes on each other at one of our first aid courses.

Sometimes, love can blossom in the unlikeliest of places.

When Michael turned up for a three-day first aid at work course in 2011, he was ready to roll up his sleeves and learn all about burns, bumps and bandages.

What he didn’t expect was a beautiful French girl to come zooming along on her scooter. But it turned out Aurelia had also been sent along by her company. More