When Gemma’s two-year-old daughter was choking on a plastic brick, she knew what to do and acted quickly. Here, Gemma recalls what happened, and how a video she’d seen on Facebook helped her save her daughter.
Choking is very common with young children and is a frightening thing for any parent to have to face. But if it should happen, knowing the simple skills to help can make all the difference.
When my two-year-old daughter, Seven, started choking, I remembered a British Red Cross first aid video that I’d recently watched on Facebook and immediately knew what to do.
It was a normal morning and I was at home with my five children.
Suddenly, my eldest daughter, Boo, shouted upstairs that her little sister, Seven, was choking.
I rushed downstairs and when I got halfway down, I saw Seven and could see that she wasn’t breathing.
Her eyes were out like dinner plates, her chest wasn’t moving and she wasn’t making any noise at all.
I suppose I always thought that when someone was choking it would be noisy, but she was just silent.